Can Dogs Eat Chocolate? Everything You Need to Know

can dogs eat chocolate

Table of Contents

If you’re a first-time pet owner, you might be wondering… “Can dogs eat chocolate?”

As dog owners, we love to give our pets treats for being the best pets.

However, there are still treats or foods that you should not give your pup.

For starters, NO, dogs should not eat chocolate.

They should never eat chocolate, even as a treat or by scavenging in the kitchen while you’re away.

This blog will discuss everything you need to learn about chocolate toxicity in dogs.

If you suspect your pup has ingested chocolates, contact your vet immediately, or bring him to the vet clinic.

Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate: Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

We all love to treat ourselves to our favorite bar of chocolate from time to time.

But even though chocolate is a very tasty treat for humans, that doesn’t mean we should feed this to our dogs.

There are plenty of human foods that can be harmful to pups.

All types of chocolate are toxic to dogs. Even in small amounts, chocolate can harm your dog’s health.

Chocolate contains two poisonous chemicals for dogs: caffeine and theobromine, which harm dogs.

“But what about dark chocolates? Is it the same?”

The darker the chocolate, the higher level of theobromine present, meaning it is more toxic than normal chocolate.

How much chocolate is poisonous to a dog?

It all depends on the amount of toxic theobromine present in the type of chocolate.

Again, the more bitter and darker the chocolate is, the more dangerous it is for Fido.

Baking chocolate and gourmet dark chocolate contains about 130-450 mg of theobromine per ounce.

Milk chocolate usually has about 44-58mg per ounce.

To put this into context, let’s say you own a medium-sized dog that weighs 50 pounds.

It would only take them to eat 1 ounce of baker’s chocolate to show symptoms of chocolate poisoning possibly.

Also, remember that even if the amount ingested is not enough for a toxicity concern, they can still experience bad side effects from the fat and sugar in the chocolate.

For instance, dogs that have sensitive stomachs can suffer from pancreatitis.

My Dog Ate Chocolate

Signs of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

Monitor your pup for the next 24 hours. This is when the signs will most likely appear. Some of the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs you can watch out for are listed below:

  • Vomiting
  • Restlessness
  • Increased heart rate
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Hyperactivity
  • Excessive urination
  • Panting
  • Shaking
  • Muscle tremors
  • Abnormal heart rhythm
  • Increased body temperature
  • Heart failure
  • Excessive thirst

Should I Wait for Symptoms to Appear Before Calling the Vet?

If you know that your dog has eaten chocolate, don’t wait for any of the signs above to appear to consult with your vet.

These symptoms take 6 to 12 hours to appear in your dog. Contact or take Fido to the vet as soon as possible.

Take notes on what chocolate they ate, how much they ate, and how much your dog weighs.

These pieces of information will be very useful for your vet to assess the situation properly.

Treatment for Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

Treatment for chocolate poisoning will depend on the type and amount of chocolate eaten.

Chocolate poisoning needs to be treated by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Most vets will induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal to absorb undigested theobromine in the gastrointestinal tract.

Induction of vomiting must be done within 2 hours of ingestion to be effective.

Taking your pup to the vet is best advised as early as possible.

After vomiting induction or charcoal treatment, your dog will be monitored for 4-6 hours for signs of vomiting, diarrhea, panting, irregular heart rhythm, and high blood pressure.

If symptoms occur, supportive therapy is required to keep them stable until toxicity wears off.

Why is chocolate bad for dogs

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate

No matter how small the amount, especially if you own a small-sized dog, it’s best to talk to your most trusted vet.

If you don’t know what to do during these times, here is a quick step-by-step guide on what to do if your dog eats chocolate.

1. Remove Access to Chocolate and Gather the Facts

Making sure they don’t consume any more chocolate is the first step.

Please place them where your dog can’t reach or find them.

Also, you must gather all the information.

Check if you can still see the packaging or recipe of the chocolate.

Try to estimate how much chocolate your dog ate and when they ate it.

2. Contact a Vet Immediately

Again, we can’t stretch this enough; it’s crucial to contact your vet immediately if your dog ate chocolate.

Once in dialogue with a vet, tell them all the facts.

Your vet will need to know how much your dog ate and the size and weight of your pup.

This way, your vet can easily evaluate the situation and develop the proper treatment.

3. Get to the Clinic 

Let your vet know you are on the way and get to them as quickly as possible.

Remember that inducing vomit is to be done within 2 hours of ingestion to effectively eliminate the toxic ingredient from their system.

Once at the clinic, the vet will evaluate your dog’s condition and perform the necessary treatment.

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate: FAQs

Can dogs eat chocolate cake?

No, chocolate cake is filled with bad or harmful ingredients for dogs.

For instance, there is cocoa powder and sugar. Cocoa powder is also toxic to dogs as it contains high levels of theobromine.

Can dogs eat bananas?

Dogs can eat bananas but in moderation. Banana is a fantastic low-calorie treat for dogs.

It contains potassium, vitamins, biotin, fiber, and copper. Also, bananas are low in cholesterol and sodium.

However, banana is high in sugar content, so it’s best to be given as a treat.

Can cats eat chocolate?

No, cats can’t eat chocolate. The reason why dogs can’t eat these delicious sweets. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, both harmful to cats and dogs.

Can Dogs eat Chocolate

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate: Before You Go…

Chocolate is a very delicious treat for us humans. However, can dogs eat chocolate?

Chocolate is a big No-No for dogs. It can lead to serious risk or even death in severe cases.

If your dog has eaten chocolate or accidentally eaten crumbs of chocolate, consult with your vet immediately so that they can assess if your pup is at risk of chocolate poisoning.

Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are two chemicals harmful to dogs.

Chocolate poisoning is very serious. Large amounts of chocolate can cause severe symptoms, even death.

A few signs of chocolate poisoning are diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, panting, and increased heart rate.


Adblock test (Why?)

Powered by WPeMatico