Is Jasmine Toxic To Dogs?

Table of Contents

If you just searched “Is Jasmine Toxic To Dogs,” you’re probably still confused because the result is inconsistent.

That’s because there are many types of jasmine plants.

If you’re a dog owner but have suddenly taken an interest in growing plants, you must know what plants and flowers are toxic to animals.

And if that’s why you are here, I commend you for researching! If you’re a long-time pet owner, you know that the safety of our dogs comes first.

But that’s not the only reason.

If you love to go on camping trips, hikes, or stroll around the park, you should know which bristling areas are safe for your dogs.

So going back to the main issue about jasmine plants, we’re here to help you out.

Most jasmine plants, however, are not harmful to dogs, while some are, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).

If a dog eats a plant that is not usually part of its diet, it can still cause issues.

So even if ingesting a jasmine plant will not give your pup serious poisoning symptoms, it can still cause gastrointestinal problems.

Jasminum sp

Is Jasmine Toxic To Dogs? What is a Jasmine Plant?

So is Jasmine toxic to dogs? First, let’s talk about what jasmine plants are.

Jasmine plants, scientifically known as Jasminum sp., are aromatic flowers containing 200 species under its genus.

It is one of the most beautiful flowers in the world. These attractive flowers can be found in tropical and subtropical regions of Eurasia, Africa, Australasia, and Oceania.

Due to their gorgeous appearance, they are grown intendedly as ornamentals.

Jasmine plants are great as landscaping flowers, adding an extra burst of color to gardens, or even as a houseplant.

Jasmine is known for its white blossoms and lovely tropical smell. The scent of Jasmine can be sensed in soaps, candles, and teas.

It can bloom throughout the year, making it a convenient choice for plant lovers.

The Problem with the Name “Jasmine”

The issue about the Jasmine plant is not the plant itself but the name “Jasmine.”

Non-toxic Jasmine plants that we see in gardens hail from the Jasminum genus.

Unfortunately, there are other plants named Jasmine that are not part of the Jasminum genus category and are highly toxic to animals.

These toxic Jasmine plants grow in the wild and do not belong to the Jasminum genus.

Poisonous Jasmine Plants

Research suggests that three pseudo-Jasmines have been identified as being highly toxic to dogs and even children.

The three varieties are:

  • Carolina Jasmine
  • Night-blooming/Day-Blooming Jasmine
  • Cape Jasmine

Now pet owners, remember, even though they are named after the dog-friendly Jasminum genus, these plants are toxic to our pets.

Below, let’s discuss these poisonous types of Jasmine.

Carolina Jasmine Poisonous to Dogs

Carolina Jasmine

All parts of the Carolina Jasmine contain toxic gelsemium alkaloids.

They are commonly found in Central America and the Caribbean but can also grow in Southeast America.

Scientifically known as Carolina Jessamine, these plants are extremely toxic to dogs due to the alkaloid in their bodies.

Some reports say ingesting just one flower can be lethal to children or pets.

Carolina Jasmine can also cause skin allergies to some. It’s also possible to absorb these toxins through the skin, especially if there are cuts.

Dogs are also in danger if they somehow suck on their nectars. They can experience weakness, numbness, or even paralysis during its initial onset.

But it gets worse! It is followed by seizures, dyspnea, and in severe cases, death.

Symptoms of Carolina Jasmine Poisoning in Dogs

  • Muscle Weakness
  • Paralysis
  • Difficulty of breathing
  • Difficulty of swallowing
  • Seizures
  • Vision loss
  • Decreased respiratory rate

Day Blooming Jasmine Poisonous to dogs

Night/Day Blooming Jasmine

Cestrum diurnum, also known as Day Blooming Jasmine/Jessamine, Day Cestrume, or King of the Day, is another Jasmine plant that is toxic to pets.

All parts of the plant are toxic.

On the other hand, Night Blooming Jasmines or Cestrum nocturnum is common in the Southeastern United States.

It is known for producing a sweet, overpowering smell at night.

Both plants have an attractive appearance and a sweet and palpable fragrance that can catch animals’ attention.

It contains toxic properties all over its body, particularly in the berries or the sap.

Night Blooming Jasmine Poisonous to dogs

Symptoms of Night-Blooming and Day-Blooming Jessamine Poisoning in Dogs

  • Loss of Appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Vomiting
  • Depression
  • Increased Pulse
  • Thyroid and Parathyroid glands issues
  • Gastrointestinal Problems
  • Depression
  • Hormone imbalances
  • Increased bone density

Cape Jasmine Poisonous to Dogs

Cape Jasmine

Cape Jasmine, or Gardenia jasminoides, contain toxic properties in its foliage, flowers, or fruits.

These plants are dangerous when consumed by humans and dogs.

Cardiovascular changes, central nervous system abnormality, and gastrointestinal issues recognize Cape Jasmine poisoning.

Contact your vet immediately if your pet has just consumed Cape Jasmine.

Symptoms of Cape Jasmine Poisoning in Dogs

  • Weakness
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Hives
  • Nausea
  • Tremors
  • Seizures

Treatment of Jasmine Poisoning in Dogs

If you suspect your dog has consumed a toxic Jasmine plant, remove any plant material from your dog’s mouth and contact your vet as soon as possible.

Vets can decide to induce vomiting. They can also try other methods to remove the poison from your dog’s body.

For instance, they can use techniques such as gastric lavage, activated charcoal, and other medications.

To prevent dehydration, dogs will require fluids administered through an IV. They also need medication to treat other symptoms that the toxins cause.

The prognosis is good if your dog receives immediate medical attention.

However, the amount of toxic plants your dog ingested can influence the outcome.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if my dog ate a jasmine flower?

It’s best advised to contact your vet immediately if your dog accidentally ate the Jasmine flower.

Even though most Jasmine flowers (Jasminum sp.) are non-poisonous, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Can dogs eat scented jasmine rice?

Yes, dogs can eat jasmine rice but in moderation.

Jasmine rice has vitamins and nutrients that can help improve digestion and boost immunity and is filled with rich minerals.

However, if you’re planning to change your dog’s diet, it’s best advised to speak with your vet or a pet nutritionist first.

How do I know if my dog ate a poisonous plant?

If you suspect your dog has eaten a poisonous or toxic plant, watch out for these symptoms:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Coughing
  • Weight loss
  • Excessive drooling
  • Rashes
  • Blisters
  • Diarrhea
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Difficulty in swallowing
  • Seizures

Is Jasmine Toxic To Dogs: Jasmine Jasminum sp (not toxic)

Is Jasmine Toxic To Dogs? It depends…

There are so many different kinds of plants that it’s hard to keep up with whether or not a certain flower is toxic or non-toxic to animals.

And dogs are curious animals. Some dogs may end up playing with random stuff out of curiosity, and flowers may be one of them.

If you’re a pet owner fond of growing flowers and plants, you better be careful. Our first priority is the safety of our pets and children in the house.

so, is Jasmine toxic to dogs?

Depends on what “Jasmine” plant you’re talking about. There are several plants named Jasmine.

But if you’re talking about Jasminum sp., which is commonly seen in gardens, then no, these flowers are non-toxic to dogs.

However, there are “Jasmine” plants that are toxic to pets.

Watch out for the Caroline Jasmine, Night Blooming Jasmine, Day Blooming Jasmine, and the Cape Jasmine.

These “Jasmine” plants are different from Jasminum sp.

They contain toxins that can harm humans and animals.

Watch out for symptoms like paralysis, nausea, diarrhea, seizures, vomiting, weight loss, tremors, and more.

Rush them to your vet if they accidentally eat these kinds of plants.


Adblock test (Why?)

Powered by WPeMatico